Food For Thought: Relationship Between Estrogen and Vivid Dreaming

Premenstrual vivid dreaming comes from hormone imbalance???

Do you have hormone imbalance, Garfield?
I had a hunch that maybe vivid dreaming before period week would have something to do with the hormone imbalance females experience before their periods. For example, these past few months I have had a week of weird, vivid dreams before I have ze period. Then during my week, the dreams go away.

Soooo, I decided to go all science research-y this morning. I remembered from Physiology class that before a female has her period, there's a drop in estrogen production levels... I researched the effect of estrogen in the female body, and apparently estrogen has an effect on emotions (it has an effect on everything about a female, but emotion is one of them).

Which could make that estrogen is one factor that triggers PMS (premenstrual syndrome). Females can get pretty sensitive and emotional during PMS, I'm pretty sure both males and females are aware of it. Their senses are on edge, they're irritated over little things, depressed over even smaller things, have weird cravings, etc. I've tried researching why but apparently scientists are still trying to find a definite cause of PMS (which made me laugh... women are abstruse LOL) But I guess since there is a sudden drop in amount of the hormone before periods start, and since the hormone has an effect on emotions, it throws females off their rockers, usually in a bad way.

Because low estrogen means low, emotional moods (which leads to "PMS"), this could trigger vivid dreams. Vivid dreams usually occur when someone feels super overwhelmed (with emotion or whatever else), stressed, or anxious. Freud had a theory that dreams express the emotions the person doesn't want to show when they're conscious.

Does this mean there is a relationship between hormones and dreams??

It seems plausible in my opinion... but I haven't seen anything online that has confirmed it, which I find a little strange.

If you're looking at me funny, I'm not the only one who has experienced this "vivid-dreaming-before-period-starts" pattern. I've read forums where other women have said they experienced vivid dreaming before their periods. Some also said that they've had erotic dreams too, and PMS can also make females feel that way, so it kinda makes sense.

(Vivid dreaming becomes almost like a premonition to when your period will start o____o)

Although... I never really experience PMS every single month. Of course I do experience it every other month or so, but not every time, so I'm not like extremely emotionally distressed before my period every single month. Last month, I was totally fine. So why I do I still have vivid dreams???

There has to be some relationship between hormones and vivid dreaming... Weird estrogen levels -> PMS -> vivid dreaming??? That means weird estrogen levels leads to vivid dreaming!!!! Maybe you don't even need to PMS to get vivid dreams, you know?

But since I'm just another curious 16 year old teenaged girl, I could be wrong. Just food for thought.

1 comments:

  1. The hormone progesterone is at it's highest after you ovulate. Which causes your body temp to rise which in turn causes some of us to have those vivid dreams. Your temp drops just before because progesterone drops and if your not pregnant brings on your period.

    ReplyDelete

 

Me in Other Places

Twitter | ohnerak_
Powered by Blogger.

About the Blogger

This was a blog I wrote on from 2010-2016. Keeping it for posterity. Hi, I'm an 18-year-old human, happened to be named Karen, who thinks a day of YouTube watching, gaming, forum reading, and blog writing is a day well spent. I use this thing to talk about stuff.