Mischievous Kiss 2: Love in Tokyo END


Reader discretion is advised: [Update] I have no idea when this season is actually ending. I see different dates? LOL. So seriously, big spoiler warning (unless you watched the drama via Dramafever.)

The second season of Itazura na Kiss just ended today...

Okay, I'll be completely honest with you---I was convinced that I didn't like this season. The time jumps were absolutely choppy and left a bad taste in my mouth, pacing was too fast (KOTOKO IS SUPPOSED TO BE 26 BY THE END OF THIS SEASON, LIKE WHAT?), Kotoko screamed two times as much as the first season, and everything was too repetitive...

BUT. I still feel incredibly depressed right now. So I guess that's saying something.


I'm not gonna write an in-depth drama critique with a tiny scrollbar about this season, just because I think it's gonna turn out to be a rant (and I didn't read the manga, so I'm in no position to write a critique), so I'll just write a casual, "What-did-I-think-of-it" post for this one.

I didn't really like how this whole season seemed to be for the sake of moneymaking. I know a lot of dramas are that way, but they could have at least made it less blatant. The producers apparently cut 10 minutes of footage from each of the 16 episodes in the TV release to get people to buy the DVD set thing (which includes the 10 minute footage that were cut). That's 160 minutes of footage altogether!!!

The footage was the juice of the episodes, honestly. -scoffs- (Someone posted some of the footage on a Facebook page and I watched some of 'em. I don't know if they were taken down or not...)

That just doesn't rub well with me... In fact, it angered me A LOT, especially in the beginning, when I found out about it. I was like, no wonder something didn't feel right.

And the fact that there were choppy time jumps and Kotoko's much whining didn't help at all. Oh God, and the repetitiveness. If I were Naoki, I'd be so fed up with Kotoko whining about how much I don't love her. I get where Kotoko's coming from (no, I completely understand where Kotoko's coming from, really), since she doesn't get much validation from Naoki, but... y'know... after 3-4 times of that kind of confrontation and Naoki assuring her that he loves and cares about her, I'd think Kotoko should have at least some faith in her husband...

But....

I have to say, that last scene was the cutest. The one with Kotoko and Naoki holding hands with their toddler, Kotomi... Kotoko was acting like her season one self (not too over-the-top) and Naoki was finally smiling naturally (and I say NATURALLY, unlike the slightly awkward, constipated smiles he gave periodically throughout the season...) and his speech was loose, and not stiff. That scene alone kinda made up for it. Sorta. Not really.

Naoki never smiled like this throughout the season. NEVER.
That's Yuki's (the actor) real smile. I know that.
I mean, that LOOK Kotoko and Naoki gave each other ALONE told me how much they loved each other. But my question is... WHY COULDN'T THESE MOMENTS HAVE HAPPENED DURING THE OTHER EPISODES?? If they had more of this kind of moment, I swear, I'd sacrifice some of the kiss scenes. YES, I SAID IT.


I want moar of dis "loving gaze" action
AND EVEN MORE GENERALLY, WHY COULDN'T THE ACTING FROM THAT SINGLE SCENE BE APPLIED TO ALL THE OTHER DARN EPISODES??? The acting in this season between Kotoko and Naoki was so AAARRRGHHH. So stiff... especially on Naoki's part, man... I wanted to oil up his joints.. or his jaw... or something... why you gotta be so stiff? How can a person possibly still be this stoic and not warmed up at this point??? Especially when he has someone like Kotoko by his side, lol.

One more thing, which is rather important, I really, really, really wish the screenwriters could've expounded upon Kotomi. Dealing with kids would really mature Kotoko to some degree (but doesn't mean she'd be any less playful xD) and totally melt off Naoki's pokerface attitude, 'cuz honestly, that's what dealing with kids does to you. Kotomi was one of the main reasons why I was excited for this season (another reason was Keita, but that's not the point) That pregnancy scene had a duration of like 10 minutes or something, or at least it felt like it, and it was super rushed, as usual.

Why couldn't this be reality
It was like, HEY KOTOKO I THINK YOU'RE PREGNANT OH MY GOD EVERYONE FREAK OUT. Time jump, Kotomi is already walking.

-sigh-

If only there were time for a third season, I think the pacing would've been much, much better... There would be time for character development... and less choppy time jumps, quite frankly. And time for Kotomi to come into the picture :D

But in reality, a third season would be near impossible... As actors, Yuki and Honoka need to break away from the whole Itakiss thing and move on with their careers, y'know? Especially Yuki. He's a grown man, which is something people may easily forget since he's got a baby face. But yeah, he's like 27 years old now, and may want to transition into roles that are more suited for his age (I think he said that once, but take that with a grain of salt)

Anyway, I'm still depressed, probably since because they put that Kotomi scene in there, I know the producers just stamped a "NO THIRD SEASON" stamp on the planning table. It's kind of depressing. And this drama did air in March of 2013... that's exactly 2 years now... (time flies.)

I'm not gonna lie, I will still love this series. Mostly because I love both Furukawa Yuki and Miki Honoka. They're cuties. And their chemistry on and off camera is awesome :)

Well, maybe I'll rewatch this season when I completely forget what happens, give or take 4 years or so. Hopefully it'll be a different experience when I watch the episodes straight through instead of having to wait 1 or 2 weeks in between each of them. -shrugs-

I think I'm being generous, but I give a  star rating. I'm a little forgiving since I know they followed very well with the anime version. (Except for the fact that they left out a lot of Kotomi. -angry pout-)





On a side note, the casting for this drama was great. LOL. Positively 100% two thumbs up for that, at least.

1 comments:

  1. There was no 3rd season because the mangaka died before finishing up the manga which ended on Naoki's asking Kotoko if she's pregnant.

    The anime has Kotomi as their daughter because, as far as I can remember, it was thru the fan votes.

    ReplyDelete

 

Me in Other Places

Twitter | ohnerak_
Powered by Blogger.

About the Blogger

This was a blog I wrote on from 2010-2016. Keeping it for posterity. Hi, I'm an 18-year-old human, happened to be named Karen, who thinks a day of YouTube watching, gaming, forum reading, and blog writing is a day well spent. I use this thing to talk about stuff.