Best Girl Group

"SNSD beats Fin.K.L and gets named best girl group"

When I read that on Allkpop, I can't help but feel a little.. uneasy? I'm not a hater of Girls' Generation, I have some of their songs on my iTouch and their songs are catchy. But though I like their songs, I'm not a fan, and reading "best girl group" gave me a lurch in my stomach. Maybe it's just my preference, but I don't think a group that has a majority of cutesy and catchy songs can name a them the best group out of all groups, to be honest. It doesn't show off talent. It only shows that they can promote well. I'm not saying SNSD has no talent, but I haven't heard any song that has really shown why SNSD is SNSD.

Also, SNSD and Fin.K.L are girl groups from two entirely different generations of music. You absolutely cannot compare two different styles of music. It's not legit, and it's not fair. 

SNSD might be considered to have a real "backbone" in the Korean music industry or whatever, but I think they're no different from an average idol group. Their songs are no different. Their voices and singing ability are no different. (Except Taeyeon. I think she has the best ability to sing out of all them) I honestly don't see anything special about them. Yeah, they've won awards and stuff but I'm a kind of person who doesn't believe unless I see it with my own eyes. So far, my eyes haven't seen anything much from this group.

I think my preference of the 'best Korean girl group' would be a group that displays each and every member's musical ability in the best way possible, and that they are able to show that in a very charismatic and powerful way. SNSD is all aegyo to the highest cutesy degree, if you get what I'm saying.. They might have charm, but they don't show it in a powerful way. Instead, they bend their knees with their hands next to their cheeks smiling a toothy and overly sweet smile (metaphorically speaking, of course)



And, I really don't like SNSD that hell of a lot mostly because of their behavior and lack of respect for their sunbaes most of the time. I saw a video on YouTube showing Jessica and Hyoyeon dancing like drunken club girls mocking the BONAMANA dance at the Golden Disk Awards. And after their Super Junior sunbaes finished performing, Jessica started clapping in a way that wasn't even clapping. More like mocking a clap, slapping her hands together really unnecessarily hard.


I'm not a really big fan of girl groups, but there are groups that I really admire, like 2NE1. I saw their live performance at the MAMA Awards for 2010 I believe, and their performance was really powerful, and I enjoyed watching it. And no, by the way, I am not comparing these two groups. I just admire 2NE1 more than SNSD. Everyone has their own preference.

If you're happening to be reading this and you're an SNSD SONE, don't take it the wrong way or anything. If you think they're the best, then they're the best. I'm not trying to convince anyone that SNSD's bad or something, because I know that's pointless, since they're taking over the Asian market already. But Sones won't change my mind about them either.. I just had to make my viewpoint clear about groups like SNSD. In my opinion, SNSD is not the best Korean girl group that's out there. I hope that one day, another female group will show what real music is, not just repeating 'gee gee gee gee gee' and 'oh oh oh oh oh' throughout the song and have it to a smash hit...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Me in Other Places

Twitter | ohnerak_
Powered by Blogger.

About the Blogger

This was a blog I wrote on from 2010-2016. Keeping it for posterity. Hi, I'm an 18-year-old human, happened to be named Karen, who thinks a day of YouTube watching, gaming, forum reading, and blog writing is a day well spent. I use this thing to talk about stuff.