My Graduation Weekend 2015: Part One

If you graduated with me, you're probably like, Karen, graduation was more than a week ago, get yourself together chiiiica---I know, I know, but I was tired and lazy. I have the right to be like that; it's summer. But yeah I was sitting in my living room this afternoon until I realized I didn't write about my graduation yet. So here I am. Writing. I am bored out of my mind, just to let you know. (Not a fun summer so far.)

I hate having to shrink high quality photos for the sake of the internet x__x


Anyway, so on Saturday, May 30th of 2015, I graduated from high school. Wooppee. The day before, my cousins came down from San Francisco, 'cause they were spending the weekend here to celebrate my graduation. That made me feel quite happy, to say the least... (and well, I sat through their graduations, so it's about time they return the favor. LOL) 

Them balloonz
The most prominent thing that I remember from that Friday was that we spent a good hour or hour and a half driving around the city to find graduation balloons. We searched three Dollar Tree stores before we went home... one Dollar Tree store would have one type of balloon but not another, and the other Dollar Tree stores would have the other types of balloons, but not the former. -_- I almost gave up but my cousins insisted on getting balloons I wanted (#spoiledfortheday). It was quite worth it, I guess. The balloons we found are still propped up and still balloon-like to this day. :D

Fast-forward to the day (morning) of the graduation... I got there about ten minutes early, and walked around like a lost chicken for a good three minutes. But during those three minutes, I eavesdropped over some student asking a lady whether or not it was okay to bring our cellphones with us. 

Yeah. You heard right. We initially couldn't bring our cellphones in with us, a rule that finds its place in my "most-impractical-rules-I've-ever-heard" list. Like, I understand their intentions but c'mon, we need our cellphones to find our families after the ceremony. We can't drink a Red Bull and grow wings to help us fly over the crowds and spot our kinsmen, like, pls, let's be practical here.

I highly doubt it mister
Anyway, that lady said we could bring cellphones in... I was still skeptical but I was like fuck-it-yolo-I'll-be-a-rebel-today and hid it in the sleeve of my gown. I wasn't gonna be a lost baboon after the graduation, no way no. But a little later, there was a serious cellphone ordeal before all students started lining up, because apparently, there were people searching students for cellphones before letting them line up. So y'know, naturally, girls were trying to hide their cellphones in their boob area. Yay, secret weapon! (My friends and I were joking about where the guys would hide their cellphones..... hahahaha) And for those who were big-boob challenged (like myself), or could not hide their cellphones in that place, they were all freaking out.

BUT, fortunately that one lady who was supposed to search my line was nice and didn't search us. She told us as we walked on by that she understood that we needed our cellphones. God bless. Buddha bless. Allah bless.

At this point, everything has settled down, and I was quite content with my life (and prayed to Buddha that I wouldn't get a random wave of an upset stomach... yeah, I worry about those things). When I was waiting in line with everyone else to start walking to our seats for the ceremony, it kinda sorta hit me that I was graduating from high school, but it was only for a little while, because I stood in that line for so damn long that the realization and the nervousness went away entirely. At that point I just wanted to sit down LOL. 

When I finally started walking, I spotted my dad in the crowd, which is kind of amazing. He was flapping his arms around and stuff. Nice going, dad. (love you dad)

The ceremony itself was pretty bland---typical of a graduation. However, it did go much more faster than I had expected, which is a damn good thing, because I felt like I was one of those chickens at Costco being roasted.

Real image of the other graduates and me at graduation
When I got my diploma (cover) and went back to my seat, the thing was to stand until everyone in your row had returned to his/her seat, and so I stood there trying to look for my family. Unsurprisingly I couldn't find them, so I smiled blindly into the crowd while holding my diploma.... and.... wait for it.... MY DIPLOMA WAS BACKWARDS OTL Awkward Karen never fails to strike again. My French teacher sitting in the row behind me had to tell me to turn it over. God, that was embarrassing. Check out my realization (aka me being a stupid, awkward baka):


After the graduation ceremony, as a graduation eating celebration thingy, my whole family gathered at Gen Korean BBQ for lunch. I don't have pictures of it (I have failed as a blogger, I'm sorry) but for the most part, I was dying from all the meat I had ingested. You don't need to see that.

After the two-hour lunch, my cousins and I died a little at my house and then got ready for the BEACH (yupyup). We got lost like 3 times on the car ride there, but we eventually got there... 

My other cousins and I tried to find a dog-friendly beach so that my San Fran-cousins could bring their dog with us... but turns out the one we found (Manhattan Beach) allowed dogs around the beach but not ON the beach. Tough luck. I felt a little bad 'cause my cousin ended up just walking her dog around the nearby shops and stuff while the rest of us went to the beach... she said she didn't want to go to the beach in the first place but still, it would've been nice if dogs were allowed so she could at least chill in the sand.

Anyway, despite the dog thing, Manhattan Beach is a wonderful beach :D It was really clean, the waters were blue, it wasn't too crowded, and well, there were some clouds in the sky that day, which made a good atmosphere (at least for me). UNFORTUNATELY, I couldn't wear a swimsuit and go submerge myself into the water because of "lady reasons." (If you don't get it, it's okay.) But I had a lot of fun getting my shorts completely drenched while making an AWESOME SANDCASTLE. (Alright, it was supposed to be a sandman, but it turned into a castle eventually.) Our sandcastle was the best, okay. It was decked out with like 9283651 moats for extra protection, complete with an irrigation system. :D I regret not taking a picture of our castle with the moats but here's a picture of our castle right after a huge wave annihilated our beautiful moats:

Sandman-turned-castle.
We played around for about an hour and a half before we had to leave, because we parked at a meter and our time was almost up. I would've loved to add more moats to our sandcastle, but whatever.

When we got home, I was super exhausted... in fact, I took a nap on my cousin's shoulder on the way back lol (I hope I didn't drool on her). I planned for my cousins to sleep over that night because we planned to go to Knotts the next day, so we all de-sanded ourselves at my house. And for dinner, we ate customized pizzas from Pizza Hut (CHICKEN ALFREDO PIZZA ALWAYS WINS). The more logical thing to do would be to sleep early that day because of Knott's the next day but I slept at like 2 AM LOL. A couple of my cousins and I were just chatting away about a lot of things. We always do that, I realized. We find a lot of things to talk about. Somehow.

I'll talk about Sunday at Knott's in another post, so that this post won't be a mile long. But, well, that's basically what happened on my graduation day. When I went to bed that day (technically Sunday morning), the graduation ceremony seemed so long ago. :P


(To read part two, click here.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Me in Other Places

Twitter | ohnerak_
Powered by Blogger.

About the Blogger

This was a blog I wrote on from 2010-2016. Keeping it for posterity. Hi, I'm an 18-year-old human, happened to be named Karen, who thinks a day of YouTube watching, gaming, forum reading, and blog writing is a day well spent. I use this thing to talk about stuff.